Small Firms Subsection: How to Create a Positive Organizational Culture - Thursday, February 22, 2018
Date: February 22, 2018
Cost: $45.45 - $55.00
Location: Terminal City Club
Please join us for our next meeting on Thursday, February 22, 2018, entitled “How to Create a Positive Organizational Culture“.
This presentation will discuss how to strengthen your firm’s organizational culture to foster maximum employee engagement, productivity and retention. We will explore the role that leadership plays in culture creation, as well as your firm’s supporting structures and processes – everything from hiring for cultural fit, to training and rewarding for it. The importance or organizational story telling, shared traditions, value alignment, and psychological safety will be discussed to provide a framework for how your firm can build and enhance its current organizational culture.
Our guest speaker, Robin Turnill, is CEO and founder of Pivot HR Services in Vancouver, and has spoken at BCLMA meetings in the past.
Robin has over 15 years of executive, management and consulting experience in both the public and private sector. She is the founder of Pivot HR Services, a firm that provides strategic HR services to many large local clients in the health, education, legal, utilities, financial and transportation industries. An HR professional with strong business acumen, Robin has been a Chief Operating Officer, as well as having held several senior management HR roles in her career. To compliment her professional practice, Robin has worked in academia as an Instructor in the School of Business at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, teaching courses in the Human Resources BBA Program.
As a community-minded individual, Robin volunteers her time and expertise as a Board Director for non-profit organizations. She is the Vice-Chair of Greater Vancouver Community Services Society, a founding Board Member for Project Change Foundation, and past Chair of the Human Resources and Governance Committee for Kids Up Front Foundation.
Robin has a Masters Degree in Human Resources Management from York University, a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from the University of British Columbia, a Post-Diploma in Human Resources Management from BCIT, and holds her designation as Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR).
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2018
Time: 12:00 noon
Place: Terminal City Club
Cost: $45.45 per person (includes GST of $2.16). Please make cheques payable to BCLMA. Cheques can be mailed to the BCLMA in advance or brought to the session.
To be announced.
We ask that you please register by using the calendar of events page on the BCLMA website by February 16, 2018.
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 40 REGISTRANTS. Priority will be given to BCLMA Members.
If you have any dietary restrictions, please advise in your RSVP.
Reserve your tickets before February 16, 2018.
Date: March 01, 2018
Location: Farris LLP
The annual general meeting of the British Columbia Legal Management Association will take place on Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 4’oclock.
Only representatives of BCLMA member firms are able to vote. Affiliate members are welcome to attend.
Refreshments will be served after the meeting.More Details
Date: April 20, 2018
Location: Vancouver Convention Centre East
BCLMA 2018 Conference
Law Firm Transformation
Engage – Plan – Communicate
The theme of this year’s conference is Law Firm Transformation. As we all know, the practice of law is experiencing one of the most dynamic periods of change in history. Everything from technology to personnel, brick and mortar to partner compensation is on the table. The speed of these changes is daunting, and both lawyers and support staff are exhibiting stress. The conference will be exploring how we can engage our firm members in the process of developing and implementing change, how we can plan the best possible roll out, and how we can communicate effectively at all stages of the project.
The kick-off Reception on Thursday evening, April 19, 2018, will be all about cocktails, conversation & creativity. We hope you can join us for an opportunity to meet fellow delegates, participate in an entertaining networking activity, and win prizes.
Using feedback from last conference, we have implemented changes to the conference format:
- The educational portion of the conference will be presented on Friday, April 20th.
- We have continued the extended hours for the ever-popular Market Place from 2 to 3 hours, encompassing a networking lunch and a pre-dinner reception.
- Social Media will once again play an important role in capturing the Conference:
- Twitter and Instagram hashtag #bclma2018.
- Instagram contest. Win more great prizes!
The Conference Committee is excited to have secured three wonderful speakers for the one-day educational Conference.
- Michelle Ray will start us off with a lively discussion on how to engage your firm members in the up-coming project or change. Michelle will help you understand the reasons people are resistant to change and how best to over-come this very natural impulse. Michelle has kindly provided copies of her book Lead Yourself First! Indispensable Lessons in Business and in Life to all conference delegates.
- The plan portion of our program will be presented by Pamela Hollington of SFU and Rebound Consulting. Pam will provide us with an overview of effective project management. Come learn the tricks of the trade used by professionals to simplify and organize the process. Pam will also lead a hands-on workshop, allowing us to practice the techniques discussed. You will walk away with templates and resources to help with your next project.
- Our final speaker of the day, Lorraine Behnan, previously an actor and writer with Second City, will give an entertaining and practical presentation on how to efficiently and effectively communicate. Lorraine will be emphasizing two-way conversations which are crucial to achieving goals and building relationships from a place of mutual understanding.
Along with offering the usual reduction for early bird registrants, we have extended the payment date to January 29, 2018. We are also offering a 10% rebate per registration when there are three or more attendees from the same firm. Every member of your team will benefit from learning techniques that will help transform your firm to meet the demands of law practice in the 21st century.
This is a great opportunity to engage, plan and communicate. For more information and to register for our conference visit www.bclmaconference.com
Date: June 07, 2018
Cost: $0.00 - $85.00
Location: Bridges Restaurant
Bridges has, by far, the best patio and view for a social gathering so we’re going back for this years’ summer social. Hopefully the weather will be just a spectacular as it has been the last few years.
Come raise a glass and enjoy some canapes along with your fellow BCLMA members. This event is a favourite one of many.
Date: November 29, 2018
Location: Sutton Place Hotel
Join us for our Annual Winter Social. A sit down, buffet dinner at the Sutton Place Hotel.More Details