HR/Small Firms meeting – June 13, 2018 – Fixed term contracts, termination clauses and managing employees near retirement
Date(s) - June 13th, 2018
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Four Seasons Hotel
Please join us for a joint meeting of the HR and small firms sub-sections on June 13, 2018. In our last meeting before the summer break, we will hear the employment lawyer perspective on fixed term contracts, termination clauses and managing employees near retirement. The dialogue will be why employers should care about these issues, and what are the pertinent facts they need to know. See below for a further outline of the discussion.
Fixed term contracts:
- Why would an employer want to have one?
- Why its not recommended
- Review a recent Court of Appeal decision that highlights the risk of such contracts
- The critical role an enforceable termination clause plays in a number of workplace issues (performance issues, cause allegations, without cause terminations, fixed term contracts)
- What to consider when drafting a termination clause
- Review a recent Court of Appeal decision in which a severability clause did not save an illegal termination clause
Employees nearing retirement:
- Can employers ask about an employee’s retirement plan?
- Do employers have to agree to a request for part-time work as an employee moves towards retirement?
- Performance issues
Our speaker will be Nicole Howell, one of the founding partners of the boutique employment law firm HHBG Lawyers. Nicole was called to the bar in 1999 and her practice covers all matters arising prior to, during, or after employment. In her role as an employment lawyer, she seeks to empower clients with a clear understanding of their rights. Nicole is active in the CBA Employment and Human Rights sections and in the Women’s Lawyers Forum. She was also a Director of the Vancouver Bar Association from 2003 – 2006 and served as its President in 2007.
Note that the venue for this meeting will be the Four Seasons Hotel.
Arugula Salad – Shaved beets, ricotta salata, organe, sherry reduction
Roasted Chicken – Squash farrotto, brussel sprouts, red wine jus
Vanilla Hazelnut Tart – Hazelnut cake, vanilla crème, white chocolate vanilla ganache
Cheques in the amount of $50.40 should be made payable to BC Legal Management Association and mailed in advance, or brought to the meeting. Please RSVP by June 8, 2018. For any questions, please contact Megan McAllister (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cheques payable to BCLMA and brought to the event or mailed in advance to BCLMA, PO Box 75562, RPO Edgemont Village, North Vancouver, V7R 4X1
Reserve your tickets before June 8, 2018
Bookings are closed for this event.