Manager, Legal Support Services Operations
|Posted:||March 13, 2018||Company:||Borden Ladner Gervais LLP|
|Location:||calgary, Vancouver||Contact:||Brittany Cheyne|
The Calgary and Vancouver office(s) of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, one of Canada’s largest law firms, is seeking a Manager, Legal Support Services Operations.
Purpose of the Role
The Legal Support Services Operational Manager ensures the highest standards of staff performance and service delivery are achieved within the legal assistant support function. The role will have management responsibility for the LSS Team Leaders, Practice Assistants, Document Specialists, and Administrative Assistants functions within the Region of responsibility. The Manager will line manage the appointed Team Leaders in the appointed Region and business area to ensure day to day support operations are seamlessly delivered to the fee earners and clients. The Legal Support Services Operational Manager will be required to guide and direct the staff within their Region and will liaise with other areas of support to ensure an aligned support structure and service is achieved.
The Legal Support Services Operational Manager will work to achieve the Firm’s vision for the legal assistant support structure and will have overall accountability for the services provided within the Region. The incumbent will be the front line contact with the business to manage resources, performance and utilization. The Legal Support Services Operational Manager will cultivate effective and cohesive working relationships across all areas whilst driving continuous improvements in the delivery of services against fee earning activities in the Region.
The Legal Support Services Operational Manager will be required to travel between the Calgary and Vancouver offices and allocate an equal 50% of his/her time in each of the two offices.
Key Competencies Required
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
The key responsibilities of this role are :
Management and Strategy
- Develop service strategies to match the needs of the Region and each practice area, in alignment with the Firm’s service strategies and standards
- In collaboration with the National Director, Human Resources, manage all changes to process and ensure appropriate communication plans are implemented
- In collaboration with the Regional Human Resources Directors/Managers, develop a strong, cohesive, well-informed, multi skilled and well-trained Regional LSS team
- In concert with the Regional Human Resources Directors/Managers, ensure proper escalation and resolution of any issues brought forward by employees
- Plan resources and coverage including cost effectively managing sicknesses and holiday absence for the Region
- Regularly meet with Regional Managing Partner (“RMP”) to provide regional status reports on headcount, arrivals and departures statistics, recruitment and general issues or concerns being addressed
- Regularly meet with Regional Group Managers (“RGMs”) and Team Leads to plan resources within the practice group to accommodate arrivals and departures of professionals within the practice group; keep RGM apprised of performance concerns and lengthy absences; provide updates on practice group ratios
- Actively participate with Human Resources in the recruitment of needed resources
- Conduct regular meetings with regional LSS Team Leads to obtain status reports; discuss process improvement strategies; address problems and concerns. Prepare and distribute minutes of the meetings to Team Leads and Regional Human Resources Director/Managers
- Manage all assigned LSS team members in a manner which builds mutual trust and respect, high motivation, personal accountability and team participation
- Ensure the Firm’s support values and behaviours are understood and encouraged.
- Implement excellent standards of communication including meeting protocols and one-to-one structures
- In collaboration with the National Director, Human Resources, build support services training and competency matrices and manage their implementation
- In collaboration with Human Resources, lead and participate in performance management and the performance review processes for LSS
- Ensure all necessary administration and recording is completed and provided to Human Resources to maintain accurate employee files
- Recognize and acknowledge group and individual staff contribution
- Understand and implement human resources policies and procedures, ensuring consistent liaison with the HR function on additional requirements
- Direct Team Leaders to facilitate a customer focused, ‘can do’ attitude in all areas and for all LSS members within their team
- Develop effective personal development plans for LSS Team Lead
- Develop and implement appropriate support communication forums
- Participate in any cross Firm projects as required
- Develop a solid understanding of all aspects of the services provided, ensuring staff have the ability to complete all tasks efficiently and effectively
- Ensure all service levels are defined and agreed against the requirements of the business
- Monitor the achievement of service levels and consistently look for opportunities to improve these
- Communicate with professional service users on a regular basis
- Ensure processes are working well for all services by requesting feedback from service users
- In collaboration with Human Resources, set annual salary and bonus recommendations based upon staff performance levels which have been consistently and fairly assessed
- Ensure the minimization of discretionary spending and controllable expenses such as absence cover, recruitment costs, overtime etc.
- Develop a culture of financial prudence amongst the team, ensuring that costs are managed and minimized at all times
Key Competencies Required
- Post-secondary degree and CHRP designation or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of Human Resources experience in a professional services environment; law firm experience is considered an asset
- Experienced in managing a team
- Able to build a collaborative team-orientated culture
- Able to positively and effectively tackle problems, formulate solutions and engage with others to ensure active steps are taken
- Sound common sense and good judgment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Able to build and maintain positive relationships with individuals at different levels of seniority
- Ability to create credibility with professionals and staff at all levels
- Exceptionally client focused approach
- Able to set expectations for continuous personal and team development
- Good self manager with excellent organizational skills
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve success
- Works effectively under pressure
- Able to achieve strict deadlines
- Well presented with a highly professional manner
- Computer literate
- Quick learner
If you have an interest in this position or know of someone who may be suitable, please forward a current resume to Brittany Cheyne at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 21, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and Partners are not eligible for consideration.