DIRECTOR OF FINANCE and ADMINISTRATION
|Posted:||March 15, 2019||Company:||Thorsteinssons LLP|
|Address:||595 Burrard Street||Postal Code:|
|Location:||Vancouver||Contact:||Kelly Hoeve, Human Resources Manager|
Founded in 1964, Thorsteinssons LLP has grown into Canada’s pre-eminent law firm dealing exclusively with tax matters. With offices in Vancouver and Toronto, Thorsteinssons is Canada’s largest firm specializing in taxation and our lawyers are consistently recognized as leading tax practitioners in Canada and around the world.
While achieving a high level of professionalism and client service, the success of Thorsteinssons is based on a respectful and supportive environment. With a foundation of support, our team is motivated to strive for success through innovative contributions to the legal profession, firm culture, and the community.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and team orientated Director of Finance & Administration.
Reporting to the Managing Partner, the Director of Finance & Administration is responsible for overseeing the financial and administrative functions of both the Toronto and Vancouver Offices.
- To manage and provide leadership to the firm on all issues assigned to the role and to be a supportive member and leader of the senior management team.
- To provide sound and timely financial information to the Managing Partner and Management Committee as required.
- To collaborate with the Managing Partner and Management Committee in helping to formulate strategic plans for the firm. To assist in identifying critical issues that need to be resolved to enable the firm to meet its on-going objectives.
- To manage and motivate a team of financial and accounting staff members.
- To ensure effectiveness of the firm’s accounting functions including: financial reporting, accounting, billing, collections, trust accounting, and partnership accounting (accounting, financial, and tax reporting).
- Annually, in collaboration with the Managing Partner and Management Committee, help establish strategic and business planning for the coming year including assisting in establishing annual operating and capital budgets of the firm.
- To ensure that effective billing and accounting practices are in place to enable sound financial and practice management of the firm.
- To ensure that all necessary controls and resources are in place to provide accurate financial information in order to compile required financial statements both quarterly and annually.
- To work closely with the Managing Partner, the Human Resources and Operations Manager, and the IT Manager to develop appropriate policies, training, operations and technology strategies that will enable all employees to perform at their optimum level to ensure the most efficient use of firm resources.
To be considered for this position, you must hold a Chartered Professional Accountant designation and have experience working within a professional services environment. You should have 10+ years’ experience in accounting and have held previous leadership positions where you have worked closely with a Management team. You must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Experience with Aderant (or Elite) and an accounting system conversion are an asset. Advanced Excel and financial modelling skills are required.
Thorsteinssons takes pride in cultivating a diverse workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage qualified applicants of all abilities to apply. We will accommodate applicants with disability-related needs (to the point of undue hardship) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies please.
Qualified candidates are invited to forward a covering letter and resume in PDF format to Kelly Hoeve, Human Resources Manager. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the reference line of your email and cover letter. No telephone calls or agencies please.