Manager, Professional Recruiting
|Posted:||January 11, 2019||Company:||Borden Ladner Gervais LLP|
|Address:||1200 Waterfront Centre - 200 Burrard St||Postal Code:||V7X 1T2|
The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, one of Canada’s largest law firms, is seeking a Manager, Professional Recruiting.
Purpose of Role
The Manager, Professional Recruiting provides regional coordination of the Firm’s recruitment processes and programs for legal professionals. This includes student recruitment, student programs, lateral associate recruitment, employer brand, digital / on-line strategies and effective recruitment systems.
Success is delivering proactive value added recruitment advice, guidance and service to BLG legal professionals to ensure the Firm is able to attract top talent within the legal services sector in Canada.
The Manager, Professional Recruiting is responsible for helping BLG attain a market-leading reputation as an employer of choice in the legal services industry and equal to other leading professional service firms in Canada.
The incumbent may be required to travel.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Administer the Firm’s student recruitment regionally ensuring that BLG recruits the best available talent in the legal student marketplace including the following:
- Effectively communicate the Firm’s market leading employer brand to differentiate BLG in the employer marketplace for students and professionals and differentiate BLG from its competitive peers
- Contribute to the design, development and deployment of the Firm’s digital and online strategy for student recruiting to ensure the Firm’s use of social media and other electronic platforms is best in class for the legal services sector in Canada and equal to other leading professional service firms
- Working closely with the National Director of Professional Recruiting and Regional Director of Professional Resources, manage the Firm’s relationship with law school students, staff, administrators and faculty, as well as the Firm’s presence at law schools, including orientations, prizes, moots, firm tours, and other sponsorship and profile building opportunities
- Ensure the Firm interviews and hires students based on the Firm’s hiring criteria designed to identify the characteristics which define top performing students who fulfill their potential and out perform their peers as associates within the Firm
- Manage the Firm’s assessment and selection methods for student hiring, which may include the use of testing, including competency, cognitive and behavioural components to effectively evaluate the hiring criteria which are developed
- Manage the Firm’s tracking of student and lateral applicants, candidates and hires using VI recruit and/or other leading recruitment technologies
- Manage the summer and the articling student programs to ensure they remain best in class in the legal sector in Canada, including orientation, rotations, mentors, training programs, social events, evaluations and the hire back process
- Administer the Firm’s lateral associate recruitment regionally ensuring that BLG effectively and efficiently recruits the best available talent in the legal marketplace including the following:
- Support BLG partners in the lateral associate recruiting process, including preparing the Lateral Associate Hire Business Case and Role Profiles
- Determine the correct recruitment strategy, including alternative sources to external hiring, e.g. internal mobility, digital media and recruiting agencies
- Ensure the lateral interview process adheres to the Firm’s policies and guidelines for associate lateral recruitment including the due diligence checklist and conflict clearance process
- Working closely with the Regional Director of Professional Resources, manage the Firm’s relationship with representatives of regional legal recruiting agencies
- Manage the regional Professional Recruiting budget
Communication and Integration
- Meet regularly with the National Director of Professional Recruiting and other Regional Professional Recruiting Managers to ensure consistency across the regions
- Meet regularly with the National Director of Professional Recruiting and the Regional Director of Professional Resources to ensure professional recruiting is aligned with the talent needs of the national practice groups and regional offices
- Encourage, monitor, and support the ongoing professional development and training of the Regional Professional Recruiting staff to ensure required capabilities are developed
- Ensure proper staffing and reporting structure within the Professional Recruiting team in the region
- University degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Law or a related field
- 5+ years of progressive Human Resource Management / recruiting experience, preferably in a management role
- Highly-developed interpersonal, communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with people at all levels
- Outstanding client relationship management skills, particularly with Partners of the Firm
- Strong operational management focus, ensuring high quality work product, on time and in budget delivery
- Proven track record of management, organizational, delegation, time management and supervisory skills
- Highly-developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong leadership ability
- Strong project management ability
If you have an interest in this position or know of someone who may be suitable, please forward a current resume to Bria Taker at email@example.com by Friday January 25, 2019.
Inquiries will be kept confidential.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.