Trust Assurance Analyst – 12 month term
|Posted:||February 23, 2021||Company:||The Law Society of BC|
|Address:||845 Cambie St.||Postal Code:||V6B 4Z9|
Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that embraces the core values of integrity and excellence, look no further.
The Law Society of BC offers work/life balance, a collegial atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package, including: extended health benefits, a dental plan, a generous health care spending account, and more.
Our Trust Assurance Department is seeking a full-time Trust Assurance Analyst for a 12-month term. Historically, many employees who have started at the Law Society as term employees have successfully posted into permanent positions by the end of their term. Working under the supervision of the Deputy Director, Team Leaders and Senior Auditors, the Trust Assurance Analyst reviews annual Trust Reports in accordance with Rule 3-79 to ensure compliance with the Law Society’s Division 7 Rules. Additionally, the Trust Assurance Analyst provides support to the Auditors by assisting them during Compliance Audits of law firm’s books and records in accordance with Rule 3-85.
The duties of this position include:
- Reviewing annual Trust Report submissions and using professional judgment to determine if the firm’s level of compliance with the Division 7 Rules is acceptable.
- Composing letters and reviewing correspondences from lawyers regarding annual Trust Reports, rule violations, trust shortages and other matters.
- Sending correspondence to lawyers on submission of Trust Reports, filing extension requests and outstanding responses to the department.
- Making necessary changes to Trust Report filing year-end and data correction in LSIS.
- Providing feedback to lawyers regarding their level of compliance with the rules and advising on what steps they should implement to remedy deficiencies.
- Responding to inquiries regarding trust accounting, Division 7 Rules and Trust Administration Fee interpretations.
- Assisting new firms in understanding the rules, answer questions and provide feedback on their accounting policies and procedures.
- Working with Trust Assurance Auditors on compliance audits to ensure lawyers comply with the trust accounting rules and to identify potential misconduct related to financial matters.
- Providing assistance in compiling referrals and supporting materials for non-compliant firms provided to the Professional Conduct Department.
- Creating and updating department procedures, policy manuals, member resources and templates.
- Leading special projects for the continuous improvement of the Trust Assurance department.
- Other duties as the Deputy Director may require.
Completion of a Business and/or Accounting post-secondary degree. In addition, the incumbent should have at least five years of experience in an accounting or auditing role. Strong knowledge of the Law Society’s Division 7 Trust Accounting Rules, as well as general law firm accounting, is a definite asset.
This position requires an individual who is mature, confident and professional. The incumbent must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to write letters and memos that are impartial, direct and concise. The incumbent needs excellent organizational and problem solving skills, attention to detail and the ability to manage their workload to achieve the expected performance results. Must demonstrate flexibility and initiative, and have the ability to work under pressure and meet the deadlines and goals of the department.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Trust Assurance Analyst.” The closing date for this competition is March 12, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC. While some of our staff have been working remotely during the pandemic, this position requires attending the Law Society office once or twice during the week.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia