If you're looking for a challenge and a chance to grow your career alongside the best and brightest in the industry, you'll find it at Harper Grey. We are currently seeking a Legal Administrative Assistant to support our students, research lawyers, and Professional Development Coordinator. The position provides an opportunity to work with a vibrant and team-oriented group of people. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 4 years’ experience working in a Canadian law firm, be energetic, flexible, highly motivated and driven to succeed.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Track deadlines for all Law Society correspondence and documentation, including applications for temporary articles, articles, mid-term and final reports, and call and admission packages
- Track and assist with correspondence to incoming summer and articling students, principals, and the Law Society regarding student employment information and Law Society documentation
- Assist with planning student events, including open houses, tours, and oath ceremonies
- Assist with the preparation of orientation and onboarding materials for incoming summer and articling students
- Assist with organizing student and associate seminars, including booking boardrooms, tracking attendance, and ordering lunches
- Assist with student recruitment, including downloading and filing application packages, assisting with scheduling interviews, and arranging meals and providing administrative support during interview weeks, including preparing interview packages for lawyers
- Schedule annual associate reviews
- Provide LAA coverage for students and two research lawyers
- Other administrative duties as required
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Completion of an accredited Legal Administrative Assistant program
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a Legal Administrative Assistant
- A thorough understanding of civil litigation rules and procedures
- Advanced technical and computer skills with Word, Excel and Outlook
- Keyboarding at a minimum or 60wpm
WHAT YOU BRING
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with firm members
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism in internal and external correspondence
- Proven ability to take initiative and be proactive, as well as follow instructions and adhere to strict deadlines
- Proficient in working effectively both independently and as a contributing member in a team environment
- Solid decision making and problem-solving skills coupled with a willingness to learn and to adapt to changing demands
- Ability to manage sensitive matters with a high level of confidentiality and discretion
- Excellent spelling, grammar, proofreading skills and verbal communication skills
- High level organizational skills with a strong attention to detail to produce quality and accurate work
- Ability to prioritize tasks by deadline, work calmly under pressure and manage high volume of work in a fast-paced environment
WHAT WE OFFER
Our people are the heart of our firm – we say it often and with good reason. It is only through our people’s skills, ambition, dedication and hard work that we can deliver the excellent level of client service our reputation is built upon. While our expectations are high – so are our rewards. Our generous competitive compensation package is just one component of our total rewards package.
Compensation + Benefits
- Competitive salary with structured annual reviews
- Extended health and dental coverage
- Employee and family assistance program
- Maternity/Parental leave top up plan
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Paid or banked overtime
- Vacation time, sick time and personal time allotment
- Firm social events
- Casual day every Friday
- Continuing education/tuition allowance
- Group RRSP plan with matched contributions
Work / Life Integration
- Robust health and wellness program annual subsidy
- Sports teams
- Recognition of service milestones
- Personal days to help balance outside commitments
WHO WE ARE + HOW WE WORK
We are a dynamic and diverse group of highly skilled people working together to deliver excellent service to our clients. When you join our firm, you join a culture of excellence, collaboration, camaraderie and respect. We’re a great place to grow your career.
Our core values focus on developing a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace that encourages and supports differences and promotes innovative perspectives. We are committed to maintaining and expanding the diversity of our firm’s lawyers and staff and creating an inclusive environment in which everyone can flourish.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic firm that values innovation, initiative and resourcefulness. Are you a motivated and creative team player? Do you think the fast-paced hands-on role we have described would be a perfect fit for your skillset?
If so, we cannot wait to meet you and invite you to submit your resume by email to Andrea Kotzo.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. Accessibility accommodations can be made confidentially throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process by contacting Andrea Kotzo.
We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process. We thank all interested applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
* If this job isn’t for you, perhaps you have a friend who would be a perfect fit. Send them this link. Thanks!!